By Dr. Diane Meyer
Don’t Settle for “It’s Your Hormones Honey!”
Going from doctor to doctor and hearing “It’s your hormones honey,” made me want to scream! As an educated person, degreed in Psychology and Dentistry, I knew there were answers I wasn’t getting.
The many doctors I consulted with were stymied, as my persistent and chronic symptoms were so varied. Having no connection with one another, they did not know what to call my illness. Grappling with various labels, and unable to identify a cause, the symptoms were classified as idiopathic.
Sick and tired of living with a laundry list of debilitating chronic symptoms including mental confusion, irritability, short temper, memory loss, uncontrollable bursts of anger, tingling/numbness in my hands and feet, muscle spasms, rectum and vaginal pain which felt like a stabbing knife, carpel tunnel, sore throats, urinary infections, ulcerated esophagus, reflux, irritable bowel, acne, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, tremors, overwhelming fatigue, slurred speech, neck & shoulder pain, depression, anxiety attacks, low self esteem, hearing problems, blurred vision, headaches, heart palpitation, irregular menstruation and a miscarriage at 5-1/2 months while in my senior year of dental school. WOW!!!! Hormones? I don’t think so!
I was a walking medical disaster, and I emphasize WAS. At the suggestion of my brother I attended a seminar. There, I learned that the myriad of symptoms I had been battling for years were most probably not of hormonal origin, but a direct result from occupational exposure to mercury from placing / removing silver-amalgam fillings, including the fillings in my own mouth.
Motivated to research the toxicity of mercury in silver/amalgam fillings, I discovered from many governmental agency such as the (ATSDR) Agency for Toxic Substance and Disease Registry, (NIOSH) National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, the manufacturers of the silver-amalgam material safety data sheets, and other reliable sources, that these fillings are a potential health risk. Interesting, silver-amalgam fillings are classified as hazardous waste prior to placement in the body and hazardous waste after removal from the body. I was in shock to learn that the mercury in these fillings was released in the form of a vapor. I was taught the mercury was locked in and could not come out. We know that mercury is a neurotoxin, but I wasn’t taught to what degree, or that my unborn / children I nursed could also be harmed by these vapors.
Here I found out that I was misinformed about the fillings. And it was my wake-up call to question what I knew and see where that would lead me. The more I learned the more I realized that my health had been severely compromised by my own mercury amalgam filling and occupational exposure. I knew enough from dental school and my research to know that upon removal of the mercury amalgam the amount of mercury exposure increases as it is drilled. Thus, you are likely to get a large exposure. I sought out a dentist trained in minimizing this problem. Following removal of the fillings, I sought help from many physicians trained to treat people with mercury toxicity. Having the fillings removed is just the beginning of a long road to recovery because the mercury had been absorbed into the body.
So I had begun a ten year journey of recovery with the realization that I had been mislead about something that I thought was helping people. I took this increased awareness and began a quest for answers. I used my scientific intellect to ravenously research ways to support the body. I reached out to many other healers, and I used my spiritual intent to know that our bodies are self-healing.
It took five years of treatment, and now nearly 9 years post removal, I have regained my life. But the good news is people can improve their health with the help of doctors who learn how to diagnosis and treat the mysterious symptoms from chronic mercury poisoning/allergy.
After my own quest for health and all that I have heard and learned from my patients, I know with clarity the power we have to heal. We just need to be pointed in the right direction and given awareness of our available tools. I know that this can be a daunting task to people, especially if they are ill. And that is why I like to work with people to support and guide them on how they can start on their own journey. With my medical background and research capability, as well as the wealth of information I have gathered through my healing journey, I feel I can give people the start they need to find their healing modalities and coach them through their quest for health.
It is my wish that you don’t settle for less. You need to believe in yourself, your instincts, do your homework and don’t accept being sick without questioning what the cause might be. Don’t settle for it’s all in your head or it’s your hormones Honey!!!
Dr Diane Meyer
412 West 63rd street Suite 102
Downers Grove Il 60515