Dr Rich Chanin DMD, of the IAOMT, discusses galvanic currents and dental mercury amalgam, “silver” fillings
Kimberly D. Hall
“Dying for a Beautiful Smile”
Dr. Randolph Myerson defined a galvanic reaction as being an electrical current resulting from the presence of two incompatible metals in the mouth. The dentist is one of many experts answering inquiries from concerned individuals. Myerson included this information in his response to a 49 year-old patient wondering whether the sweet taste in their silver amalgam-filled tooth was indicative of a galvanic reaction. According to the expert, a defective margin is also a possible cause for the odd sensory occurrence.
Regardless, galvanic reactions are a great cause for concern. More people are discovering the dangers of silver fillings they may have had since childhood as they contain 50% mercury mixed with various amounts of copper, tin, zinc and silver. Due to many dentists still being uninformed of how dangerous these amalgams are, seeking answers on the Internet has become a viable alternative to asking them. Health forums such as http://www.dentalfearcentral.org provide access to the information sought. Again, a suffering dental patient asks forum members if a galvanic reaction could be responsible for their post-amalgam replacement pain.
One forum member responds by sharing a method they use to test for galvanism. To do so, it is suggested to slide an extremely thin, small plastic piece (Mylar film) between the two teeth believed to be experiencing the reaction. The pain should be alleviated if galvanism is its cause. In the event the space between the two suspect teeth is too tight, a toothpick may be used as an aid to place the Mylar film there. Another option is to use a small piece of Glide dental tape to interfere with the contact of the metals. Rinsing the mouth with baking soda had also been recommended to alleviate the pain.
Mind you, diagnosing the problem is only half of the battle. A safe but permanent solution is required. The sooner these toxic amalgams are removed, the better. Toxins increase in the body dramatically as time goes on. Serious permanent damage could result improper removal, yet keeping the mercury-filled amalgams is as unhealthy as or worse than that. Some startling information involving that this was found at http://www.flcv.com/galv.html by Bernie Windham. A plethora of well-documented scientific findings from accurate resources adds great credibility to Windham’s assertions. The article details how the electrical impulses of a galvanic reaction literally short-circuit the brain, bringing validity to the fact the electric current produced by dissimilar amalgam metals is at least 100,000 times stronger than that used by the brain to send thoughts. This was explained in the book “Beating Alzheimer’s” by Tom Warren.
Windham elaborates on this point a great deal, noting mercury’s highly volatile and toxic nature makes it incompatible with both gold and stainless steel. Levels of mercury released into tissue and as vapor increase dramatically due to the electrical currents. A daily dose of 30 micrograms is commonly released into a person with metal amalgams. Gum tissue absorbs even more than that amount at 200 ppm. Mucous membranes are shockingly conducive as well, serving as a cathode to the amalgams’ anodes. Oral surgery patients possessing half a dozen or more metal amalgams had mercury levels twenty-fold of those in the control group. Their root tips were also found to contain an astonishing 41 ppm.
Unfortunately, mercury is not the only dangerous element involved. Metal amalgams release tin, silver, and copper as well. These too, have a terrible impact on the body. For instance, compounds made by organic tin in the body actually are more harmful than inorganic mercury ones. Amalgams made with zinc produce much stronger electric currents than the other metals.
All have a devastating effect on the human body, causing systemic defects. Mercury in particular spreads most rapidly into vital organs and tissues. Headaches (especially migraines), dizziness, and nausea are only a few symptoms galvanism may spawn. Galvanic reactions are measurable by micro amps. A single filling could create an electric current as intense as 5 micro- amps! Considering the human Central Nervous System (CNS) utilizes the merely one-thousandth of that nano- amp, it comes as no surprise that amalgam-toxic individuals suffer from leukoplakia, oral lichen planus, and serious allergic reactions to dental restorations along with the previously mentioned ailments.
The majority of cases have potential differences upwards of 50 mV, which may be anywhere from – 417 mV to + 150 mV. Pathologically speaking, negative potentials are suspected to be the most destructive. Metal crowns and bridges contribute to galvanism as well, with 154 mV coursing from them, while brace brackets release 71 mV. Electrons are forced into the oral cavity by negatively charged amalgams and crowns. Greater loss of methyl mercury occurs due to the high electrolyte quality of saliva.
In addition to the prior described illnesses, autoimmune diseases such as MS and epilepsy tend to exist in patients with negative potential fillings. Windham explains that the Huggins Protocol stresses how imperative removing negative current amalgams is. IAOMT is a highly recommended resource for more information on mercury amalgam removal, along with DAMS. The article notes that gold must not be allowed in the mouth and the mandatory minimum period is 6 months.
Exposure to EMFs (electromagnetic fields) only adds to the mix. Patients who spend a considerable amount of time near microwaves or MRI machines had significantly raised levels of mercury input and output. Salivary mercury showed an increase of 31 percent post-MRI in those with metal amalgams. Circadian Rhythms are disrupted by EMFs altering calcium efflux and homeostasis, in turn lowering melatonin. Sleep-wake cycles rely on this essential brain chemical not only for restoration of human cells, but for protection against damaging carcinogenic free radicals. Chronic illnesses as well as neurologically degenerative afflictions (Alzheimer’s, ALS, and Parkinson’s disease) often develop due to the imbalance.
Mercury tattoos are described as locations in the gums where root caps from root-canals have seeped into tissue. It is absolutely terrifying that a tooth topped with a gold cap produces some of the strongest electrical currents, revealing to German oral surgeons its levels to measure as much as 5,000 ppm when the jawbones under large fillings or gold crowns were studied. 1 ppm is the action level for fish or food by the FDA. Warnings are issued once levels reach half of the action level amount. 0.3 ppm is the EPA standard health criterion level.
Gingivitis, lesions, oral pain or burning, metallic taste, chronic inflammatory response, trigeminal neuralgia, allergies, and autoimmune troubles all may occur in the mouth alone from mercury. Oral Cancer could result from galvanism as well. Copper is equally as threatening, emitting an amount of mercury fifty-fold when present in high concentrations. Gamma-2 amalgams contain a great deal of copper, and actually release more vapor than traditional silver amalgams. Non-gamma-2 fillings are designed to be sturdier and less likely to develop fractions at the margins in comparison to their conventional silver amalgams. The latter were found to be unstable during brushing, polishing, and chewing. Just everyday normal wear causes droplets of mercury to develop on their surfaces.
These levels of mercury are transferred to the blood, brain, lungs, kidneys, liver, and the CNS. In combination with the disastrous neurological and immunity issues, a full assault against the endocrine system occurs. Silver amalgams’ effects have been documented by the government and are the number-one source of mercury exposure. As alarming as it may sound, bacteria naturally residing in the human intestines and mouth readily transforms the solid toxic metal into its deadliest form – gas.
Despite composite fillings replacing silver amalgams in recent years, a 2009 study uncovered a rising trend in the amount of inorganic mercury lying in people today. That particular study used information from the CDC (Center for Disease Control) and NHANES (Prevention’s National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey). In 1999 through 2000, only 2 percent of females between the ages of 18 and 49 had mercury detected by NHANES in blood samples. By 2005 and 2006, that figure increased by 30 percent! Every state in the U.S. participated in the survey, which also involved hair analysis. An average of 22 percent of the entire population examined had toxic mercury levels present. Citizens living in Florida and New York possessed the most toxic levels, reaching upwards of 30 percent. Members of the Baby Boomer generation in particular should be concerned. Could Alzheimer’s be avoided through use of the Huggins amalgam removal protocol? Perhaps only time will tell.
Myerson, Randolph. “Sweet Tooth”. (2006)
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dentistry-966/sweet-tooth.htm Viewed: 4/10/2011
http://www.dentalfearcentral.org Viewed: 4/9/2011
Warren, Tom. “Beating Alzheimer’s” (1991). Book. Avery Publishing Group, Inc. Garden City Park, New York. (You can purchase this at Amazon.com for as low as $0.01 like I previously have done.)
Windham, Bernie. “Oral Galvanism.” (1/2000) Article. http://www.flcv.com/galv.html Viewed : 4/9/2011